Header
Respondido

Question about different Internet Services

Boa Noite!

I hope it is okay to write in English. Maybe my question was already answered in a different threat, but my Portuguese is not that well at all plus Google Translate also isn't perfect.

Just as a back information, this is what I need:
- unlimited Data (without speed reduction after a certain amount of data usage, I need it also for work, so I can't have that)
- "mobile" Internet that doesn't need a cable hookup or whatever. I live in an area where "wired internet" through a cable is not available

So I thought what would be the right option for me is: the Kanguru tarifário XL (25,-€ per month) with a 4G hotspot: http://www.nos.pt/particulares/internet/internet-movel/tarifarios/Paginas/tarifarios-com-fatura.aspx

So yesterday I was at a NOS shop. And I would like to clarify the information I received there.They told me, that the Kanguru XL is only 4G speed for 15GB, than it is still "unlimited" data, but with a lower speed. I can't find that Info online - not in the small print either.

They told me, that I need the Internet fixa with a 4G router. It is 22,99 € per month:
http://www.nos.pt/particulares/internet/internet-fixa/Paginas/internet-fixa-sem-pacote.aspx#tab3

Is that correct, that one is without speed reduction and the other one with? The only differences I can see is, that the one tariff is for min. 12 months and the other one for 24 months. Or did they just try to sell me a product I don't really need, just so I am staying with them at least for 2 years?

Thank you VERY much for your help. It is very hard to figure out all the right stuff, when you don't speak (yet) the language. Muito obrigado!

- Zweistein
icon

Melhor resposta por C24XXXX201 25 June 2017, 03:50

Ver pergunta inicial

3 Comentários

Boa noite Zweistein.

Your 1st decision must be “what kind of device do You need?”
The big difference between an Hotspot and a 4G router is the power used.
An Hotspot uses batteries, usually charged through a mini USB port using a power charger or any other device with USB ports.
A 4G router, like the one used for “Internet fixa” does not have batteries. It is powered by an adapter to plug in to a wall outlet. This is why they call it “fixa”.

Specifically in relation to your doubt, “will the Kanguru XL speed be limited after certain amount of data?”… the big thing is, you will always be affected by a certain number of factores that will reduce the speed even before reaching that amount of data (multipath propagation, number of users connected, etc, etc) as stated in his PUR (Responsible Use Policy).
My advice is, try first a tariff without any commitment.
Boa tarde C24XXXX201,

sorry for my late response. I somehow must have overseen an email from NOS.
First: thank you very much for taking the time and helping me! This is very much appreciated.

Okay, now I understand the "fixa" term in this context. I didn't know it was related to the power cable.
I guess, when the speed is the same, the hotspot is nicer because more flexible. I have a small space, so wifi range (I guess thats where to router is better) doesn't really matter.

I have to admit I am not sure what you mean by "tariff without any commitment"? You mean something without a contract, right?

Obrigado!
"without any commitment” means without any obligation. No obligation to pay by invoices (fatura), you can simply recharge your account when and how mutch you need. No obligation to be custmer for a minimum period of time (fidelizaçao), you can quit at any time without penalizations if the service does not satisfay your needs.
All these in just one word: LIVRE
With “Livre S” and “Livre XL” tarifs you can test the network performances (speed, coverage, etc) and then decide, if your needs were acomplished, to upgrade to a mor afordable tarif... or not.

Comentário