Header
Respondido

5G data throttling

I subscribed to a 5G contract Mais Gigas-Ilimitado for 47,99 euro per month and the promise is: dados moveis ilimimitado, velocidade 1Gbps and Acesso 5G Incluido.

For 6 weeks it was ok. Speeds measured at 60-80Mbps (far far away from the 1Gbps) but ok. Data up/download without restrictions.

Then on the 26 june this suddenly changed to 3-10Mbps up and download which is barely enough to make a decent video call or watch netflix for that matter. Since nothing was changed in my setup I expect some serious data throttling by NOS. I have made a complaint but it has never been concluded satisfactory. 3 hours I spent with them on the phone but nothing was achieved. 

I suspect that data throttling (reducing either speed or data cap limitations) is common practice in NOS and I would like to know if there are others experiencing the same annoying drop in speed. I do understand that there are peak periods which are limiting the bandwidth but this is happening 24/7.

Since I pay the for the most expensive subscription for high quality internet I am very dissappointed and I like to really know if I am the only one with this problem.

Portugues:

Subscrevi um contrato 5g Mais Gigas-Ilimitado por 47,99 euros por mês e a promessa é: dados movimentos ilimitados, velocidade 1Gbps e Acesso 5g incluído.

Por 6 semanas foi ok. Velocidades medidas a 60 - 80Mbps (muito longe dos 1Gbps), mas ok. Dados up / download sem restrições.

Então, no 26 de junho, isso mudou repentinamente para 3-10Mbps e download, o que mal é suficiente para fazer uma videochamada decente ou assistir à netflix. Uma vez que nada foi alterado na minha configuração, espero alguma limitação séria dos dados pela NOS. apresentei uma queixa, mas nunca foi concluída de forma satisfatória. 3 horas passei com eles no telefone, mas nada foi alcançado. 

Suspeito que a limitação de dados (redução das limitações de velocidade ou de limite de dados) é uma prática comum na NOS e gostaria de saber se existem outros que experimentam a mesma queda irritante na velocidade. Compreendo que existem períodos de pico que limitam a largura de banda, mas isso está a acontecer 24 horas por dia, 7 dias por semana.

Desde que eu pagar o para a Assinatura mais cara para internet de alta qualidade estou muito decepcionado e eu gostaria de realmente saber se eu sou o único com este problema.

icon

Melhor resposta por Mário P. 19 July 2023, 09:14

Ver pergunta inicial

57 Comentários

Reputação 7
Crachá +2

NOS doesnt limit your bandwidth. Have you done the speedtest on a personal pc with a cable conected?

This is the contract I have:

And this is the result at the end of the day:

Reputação 7

Good night @Ed van Willegen,

Although I, as a user of the NOS Forum, can’t provide absolute guarantees regarding speeds on a 5G connection on a specific phone, I can share general information about speed expectations.

5G technology has the potential to offer much faster data speeds compared to previous generations of mobile networks, such as 4G. However, the actual speed a user will experience on a 5G connection can vary due to various factors, including:

• Network Coverage: 5G connection speed can vary depending on the network coverage in your area. The availability of the 5G network may be limited to certain regions or urban areas. Check the 5G coverage in your specific location to get a more accurate idea of the expected speed.

• 5G Frequencies: 5G networks can operate on different frequency bands, such as millimeter-wave (mmWave) and sub-6GHz wave bands. Millimeter-wave bands can offer higher speeds but have limited range. Sub-6GHz bands provide greater range but slightly lower speeds. The speed you experience will depend on the frequency available in your area and the device you are using.

• Device Capability: The speed you can achieve on a 5G connection also depends on the capability of your mobile device. Not all devices are compatible with all 5G frequency bands and can vary in terms of features and processing capabilities. Check the technical specifications of your device to see which 5G frequency bands it supports and what speeds are expected.

• Network Congestion: During periods of high demand, such as in densely populated areas or popular events, there may be network congestion, which can affect the speed of your 5G connection. In such situations, the network capacity may be shared by many users, resulting in lower speeds for each user.

It is important to note that the maximum theoretical speeds advertised for 5G technology are achievable under ideal network and equipment conditions. The actual speed you experience will depend on the factors mentioned above.

Thank you

Yes they do. And yes I monitor the speed every 4 hours with OOKLA Speedtest. This is the outcome at the moment when the throttling started. And the reduction is speed which is significant is not for half hour  it’s has been like that since 26June  I have statistic proof  

And this is what my router tells me:

A speed test directly to your servers. Terrible my friend!!

So you want to explain to me why we can’t watch a simple thing as Netflix if your download speed is 1Gbps (which it’s not as I shower you!). NOS is throttling. I have spend 3 hours on the phone with them and still it’s not resolved. They closed the reclamaçao as resolved but it is far from that!

Reputação 7
Crachá +2

That INC regards to a phone problem it seems. Contact again to run a proper speedtest. Usualy a technician is sent if values are low like that

I can cover you list point by point if you like. 

but explain to me first that the initial 6 weeks I had 60-80Mbps UL/DL. Then suddenly after the 26June never again. I like your general list but let’s get in more detail. 
explain to me the before and after.

1) Equipment the same! And the latest in 5G technology

2) Location the same (if you like I can give you the cell tower ID)

3) Connected Band/Frequencies the same (LTE B1, LTE B20 and 5G-NSA NR28)

4) Congestion or time of day? Pick any  moment!

I need a stronger explanation then an everybody already know list. 

NOS is cheating!!

My friend 3 hours I have been talking. I have send all the speed tests in the world to them. I have talked to 2 teams. Bla bla enough but no change in performance up till today. Almost a month later😳

They can come to my house. They will see that everything is in perfect order if it comes to equipment. NOS is tuning down!

Ainda quero saber que quem tem uma problema igual. Talvez juntos podemos resolver essa problema que NÓS está nos enganando!!

Tenho evidências convincentes de que a NOS está reduzindo contratos ao limitar as velocidades da Internet. Eles permitem que você pague, mas nenhum serviço de acordo com suas promessas é entregue. Nunca a velocidade da Internet é alcançada como a escrita em seus anúncios. Leia isto e deixe-me saber se você tem experiências semelhantes!

Reputação 7
Crachá +6

Bom dia a todos, 

@Ed van Willegen, movemos o seu comentário para o artigo onde já abordou o tema e a comunidade deu uma boa ajuda. 

O Tarifário Mais Gigas é para o serviço móvel e não para o serviço fixo, ou seja, tem disponível aqui informações detalhadas sobre a velocidade anunciada, velocidade máxima e estimativa da velocidade máxima do serviço de acesso à Internet móvel (secção 3).

Se pretende utilizar o serviço numa televisão ou noutro dispositivo que não tenha relação com o serviço móvel, sugerimos que contrate o serviço para o efeito. 

Obrigado

Tell me my friend exactly where is says in the advertisement that I am not allowed to use it in a router?  Where is that disclaimer stated execatky on the same page where price and speed are offered?  Where?

Secondly my router is mobile (movel) as much as a telemovel. It doesn’t state what and what cannot be used in section 3!

Still NOS is taking people for a ride. 

Even the announced speeds are far from reality!

Finally if you guys are so good why did I talk for 3 hours with your technical team and no-one could resolve the issue??  Because you are throttling speed and telling half truths  making unclear announcements and fooling people.

Section 3:

But here and everyone is warned now:

O tarifário com dotação de dados ilimitada é apenas para utilização pessoal e exclusiva do utilizador final do serviço telefónico móvel da NOS e no respetivo terminal de acesso, não podendo ser utilizado em qualquer outro tipo de equipamento, nem para qualquer fim de natureza comercial. Destina-se unicamente a permitir a utilização dos serviços que estejam expressamente indicados, não lhe podendo ser dada qualquer outra utilização, nomeadamente para conversão ou reencaminhamento, sob qualquer forma, de tráfego, independentemente da sua origem ou para estabelecimento de comunicações permanentes e/ou ininterruptas. O Cliente não pode, ainda que de uma forma meramente tentada, atacar a rede ou os sistemas da NOS ou de terceiros, nem utilizar ilicitamente recursos de sistemas de terceiros, ainda que não provoque quaisquer danos. A NOS poderá monitorizar a utilização do serviço para verificação do cumprimento das condições de acesso e utilização. No caso de utilização indevida do serviço, a NOS reserva-se o direito de aplicar restrições à sua utilização, efetuar o desligamento ou retirar de serviço o respetivo cartão SIM.

This is where they are hiding it!!

Reputação 2

Try using the service in another location if possible to see if the problem persists.

Reputação 7
Crachá +5

Boa tarde @Ed van Willegen,

Agradecemos a sua mensagem. 

Consideramos ter esclarecido o tema por si anteriormente partilhado.
Detalhe-nos, por favor, caso tenha alguma outra questão em que possamos ajudar.

Obrigado

No. We are not finished yet by far!

First of all I still find the sales and advertising method as close to fraud as  it can get. Your promise is 2 sentences :

after which you have 20 pages of rules, regulations and disclaimers. And eventually if you decide to go for the most expensive solution you end up with the worst service you can imagine. The disclaimer for unlimited data is nicely hidden in a long page of bla bla:

O tarifário com dotação de dados ilimitada é apenas para utilização pessoal e exclusiva do utilizador final do serviço telefónico móvel da NOS e no respetivo terminal de acesso, não podendo ser utilizado em qualquer outro tipo de equipamento, nem para qualquer fim de natureza comercial. Destina-se unicamente a permitir a utilização dos serviços que estejam expressamente indicados, não lhe podendo ser dada qualquer outra utilização, nomeadamente para conversão ou reencaminhamento, sob qualquer forma, de tráfego, independentemente da sua origem ou para estabelecimento de comunicações permanentes e/ou ininterruptas. O Cliente não pode, ainda que de uma forma meramente tentada, atacar a rede ou os sistemas da NOS ou de terceiros, nem utilizar ilicitamente recursos de sistemas de terceiros, ainda que não provoque quaisquer danos. A NOS poderá monitorizar a utilização do serviço para verificação do cumprimento das condições de acesso e utilização. No caso de utilização indevida do serviço, a NOS reserva-se o direito de aplicar restrições à sua utilização, efetuar o desligamento ou retirar de serviço o respetivo cartão SIM.

This is what you get if you trust a company who obviously deceives his customers which have no value at all!!  You guys have been throttling my connection to an extend that is not even close to fair!! It’s is outrageous to throttle 1 Gbps promise back to 1-5Mbps. That’s just bullying. Especially since I didn’t do anything illegal. I just used my own router, that’s all. You think you have the high ground now because you’re hiding yourself behind a hidden disclaimer ?  What do you think how I will recommend NOS as an ISP in future? Nice reliable, trustworthy guys with great service??? Well done. You must be proud on yourselves. 

Secondly you have consistently failed to imagine yourself in the situation of the client. First of all you don’t know your own set of regulations. I eventually found it myself. You guys have no clue how your own company is deceiving customers. You also grossly failed to offer me a service which I am looking for  why do you think I go for unlimited data and high data speeds??  I am one of your premium customer who is prepared to pay for a good service level and instead going after me with alternative solutions you are pissing me off in a way that I will cancel my subscription as quickly as I can.  You are not only cheaters but stupid on top of that!!

The last thing I am now thinking of is how to share my experience with you guys on a wider platform on social media because people should be warned for your malicious practices.

That’s going to be nice!

Reputação 7
Crachá +2

So what you are saying is that you broke a rule and admit it, so the bad guy is NOS here

Reputação 7

Bom dia @Ed van Willegen,

Já experimentou testar noutra localização?

Obrigado

Here you go again! As long as you think in terms rules and not in terms of service you are a long way from home my friend. Keep going you will have a lot of customers left at the end!

Sim mas nao tem impacto nada. Infelizmente. 

Reputação 7
Crachá

Here you go again! As long as you think in terms rules and not in terms of service you are a long way from home my friend. Keep going you will have a lot of customers left at the end!

It clearly states that you cannot route this connection to other terminals, being a router or a TV it clearly breaks that rule. Yet if you have a mobile phone and that terminal also has that speed the it clearly will be NOS fault.
Just make a speed test on a mobile phone and if that gives the same speed then its NOS fault.

Reputação 7
Crachá +2

If its a rule that its written in terms of service you have no right to complain after. Thats on you mate. You can disagree tho, that’s one thing. Check @Utilizador123456  tip

It’s hidden in the terms of service. One thing is clear. I am out!  You guys win👍👍👍 

Comentário